DUMBO Car Accident Lawyers
Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass – colloquially called DUMBO – is one of Brooklyn’s most popular neighborhoods. The area’s picturesque views of the Manhattan skyline, cobblestone streets, many boutiques, art galleries, high-end restaurants, trendy cafés, and the historic Jane’s Carousel attract thousands of visitors yearly.
Like most Brooklyn neighborhoods, DUMBO experiences periods of heavy traffic, resulting in many car accidents. Suffering injuries in a collision often result in costly medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. At Rubenstein & Rynecki, our DUMBO car accident lawyers work tirelessly to seek justice and compensation for our clients.
What Types of Car Accidents Occur in DUMBO?
Car accidents can occur in many ways and range in severity. In DUMBO, some of the most common types of car accidents include:
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions occur when two vehicles crash head-on, often resulting in fatalities or severe injuries.
- Low-speed collisions: These collisions occur at low speeds, often in areas with heavy traffic congestion and pedestrians.
- Rear-end collisions: Rear-end collisions occur when the front of one vehicle crashes into the back of another, typically during slow but heavy stop-and-go traffic.
- T-bone collisions: Side-impact – or T-bone – collisions involve one driver crashing directly into the side of another car, commonly occurring at intersections.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents in DUMBO?
Car accidents are caused in varying ways, but most are caused by human error. The most common causes of DUMBO car accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Cell phone use, messing with onboard electronics, eating, and other activities distract drivers’ attention from the road. Distracted driving has become one of the topmost causes of accidents in the country and is the number one cause in many states.
- Drunk driving: Drugs and alcohol reduce reaction times, impair brain function and time, distort vision, and cause blackouts and sleepiness, making driving under the influence one of the leading causes of dangerous and fatal accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Studies have shown that sleep deprivation can have the same effects on neurological function as drugs and alcohol. Drowsy driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Reckless driving: Aggressive driving behaviors, such as cutting off others, darting in and out of lanes, traveling too closely, road rage, and disobeying traffic laws, put other motorists at extreme risk.
- Speeding: Speeding reduces the ability to make sudden stops or avoid obstructions and is one of the top causes of fatal car accidents.
- Tailgating: Traveling too close to the car in front of you reduces available stopping distance and is almost exclusively the main cause of rear-end collisions.
- Weather: Rain, snow, and icy weather cause road surfaces to become slick and reduce the tires’ ability to maintain traction, especially when speeding.
What Types of Injuries Are Common in Car Accidents?
Car accident injuries range dramatically and in severity. Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Concussions and head injuries
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Cuts and lacerations
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Psychological trauma
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What Should I Do if I am in a Car Accident in DUMBO?
The actions you take following an accident can be greatly beneficial for a future personal injury claim. If you are physically able, you should do the following steps after a wreck in DUMBO:
- Report: Call the police and report the accident and injuries.
- Minimize conversation: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, but do not argue or apologize. Any statements you make can be used against you.
- Document: Photograph the accident scene. Be sure to include car damage, injuries, weather or road conditions, obstructions, signage, and other contributing factors.
- Obtain statements: Ask witnesses for contact information and statements.
- Seek medical attention: Be medically evaluated as soon as possible, even if you think your injuries are minor. Certain internal injuries do not develop symptoms until later and can be life-threatening if left untreated. An official doctor’s report documenting your injuries is also critical to a personal injury claim. Without one, your claim will likely be denied.
- Maintain records: Keep all documents related to the accident, including medical bills, estimates, repairs, and communications related to the accident.
- Hire a lawyer: Speak to an experienced car accident lawyer with a successful track record of negotiating with insurance companies and winning compensation for clients.
What Compensation Can I Receive for My Injuries?
There is no established value of financial compensation for personal injury claims. A value is determined through a combination of economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are the actual costs related to your losses as a direct result of the accident, such as:
- In-home medical care
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Permanent or temporary disability
- Medical expenses
- Medical devices and equipment
- Ongoing medical care
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Repair costs
- Wrongful death and funeral expenses
Non-economic damages are losses with no specific value and are based on pain and suffering, such as:
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive impairment
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Keep in mind that New York follows the rule of pure comparative negligence in personal injury cases, which assigns each driver a percentage of fault. A plaintiff may be eligible for compensation, regardless of fault. The total compensation available is then reduced by the percentage of fault they are assigned.
Is There a Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims?
The statute of limitations to file personal injury claims in New York is three years from the accident date or two years from the date of death.
How Can a DUMBO Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Hiring Rubenstein & Rynecki allows you to focus on healing. Our DUMBO car accident lawyers can do the following:
- Investigate the accident scene.
- Review police reports.
- Interview witnesses.
- Work with your medical team to determine your current and future healthcare needs.
- File all required documents.
- Hire experts, if necessary.
- Negotiate insurance companies.
- Represent you in court should the case go to trial.
Like most personal injury firms, our car accident lawyers work on a contingency basis. We have an exceptional track record of securing millions of dollars for our clients.
DUMBO Car Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Represent Clients Injured by Negligent and Reckless Drivers
Suffering injuries through someone else’s negligence can affect your entire life, including costly medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our DUMBO car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki can fight to obtain the compensation you deserve after a car wreck. Call us at 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.