Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents are a common occurrence on busy city streets. Injuries sustained in car accidents can be life-changing, causing financial hardship, lost income, or permanent disability.
At Rubenstein & Rynecki, our Brooklyn car accident lawyers understand the devastation car accidents can have on entire families, and we are dedicated to fighting for justice and compensation for our clients.
What Are the Common Causes of Car Accidents in Brooklyn?
Unsafe driving habits and negligent drivers cause most car accidents in New York City, the most common being:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is quickly becoming the most common cause of accidents in the United States. Cell phone use, eating, arguing, interacting with children and pets, fiddling with onboard technology, and many other driving activities divert attention from the road.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence endangers everyone as alcohol slows brain function, reduces reaction time, limits processing ability, blurs vision, and reduces focus.
- Drowsy driving: Sleep-deprived driving can be as dangerous as drunk driving. Significant sleep deprivation causes the same neurological impairments as alcohol.
- Speeding: One of the most common causes is driving faster than the posted speed limit, reducing the ability to stop quickly or avoid sudden obstacles.
- Reckless driving: Aggressive driving, such as excessive lane changes, cutting off others, and ignoring traffic signs and laws, can lead to a car accident.
- Weather: Slick roads due to rain, snow, and ice makes it difficult for the tires to maintain traction and can cause cars to slide over the surface, increasing the risk of collision.
- Tailgating: Traveling too closely in the heavy traffic congestion of the city frequently results in rear-end collisions.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Brooklyn
In the city, many accidents occur at intersections. The top 10 most dangerous intersections in Brooklyn are:
- South 3rd & Havemeyer Street
- Newkirk Avenue & Argyle Road
- South 4th & Keap Street
- Sterling Place & Kingston Avenue
- Lawrence & Willoughby Street
- Smith & Wyckoff Street
- Hooper & South 5th Street
- Flatbush & Tillary
- Atlantic Avenue & Pennsylvania Avenue
- Linden Boulevard & Pennsylvania Avenue
What Are Common Injuries Seen in Brooklyn Car Accidents?
Injuries in a car accident can range from mild to severe, even in minor crashes. Common car accident injuries include:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Concussion and head injuries
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Cuts and lacerations
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Psychological trauma
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
How Much Is a Car Accident Claim Worth?
There is no established value for accident claims. A claim’s value is based on the circumstances of the accident and determined by damages.
Economic damages refer to the financial costs and expenses related to the accident, such as:
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Permanent or temporary disability
- Wrongful death and funeral expenses
- Medical expenses, such as ambulance services, emergency room visits, hospitalization, and surgeries
- Medical devices and equipment
- In-home medical care
- Ongoing medical care
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Repair costs
Non-economic damages are costs suffered in the aftermath of the accident with no finite financial value, such as:
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive impairment
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
New York follows a pure comparative negligence rule, meaning a percentage of fault is assigned to each driver following an accident. An injured plaintiff can recover damages, regardless of fault.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Brooklyn?
Your actions following a car accident are important and can help your personal injury claim. If you can, you should do the following:
- Report the accident: Call the police to report the accident and any injuries.
- Document the scene: Photograph the scene, including vehicle damage, license plate numbers, weather and road conditions, injuries, signage or lack thereof, and anything else that may have contributed to the accident.
- Gather witness statements: Exchange contact information with witnesses, and ask for statements and any photos or videos they may have taken of the accident.
- Seek medical attention: If you believe your injuries are minor, seek a medical evaluation immediately. Some internal injuries do not present symptoms until much later and can be life-threatening if left untreated. Also, the medical report documenting your injuries is crucial to your future claim. Without one, the claim may be denied.
- Keep records: Maintain all communication, invoices, estimates, and medical records related to the accident and your injuries.
Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
After an accident, it is wise to consult a lawyer before making decisions or filing a claim. Personal injury law is complex, and while you are not required to hire a lawyer, having one with knowledge of state laws and experience can significantly increase your chances of compensation.
A car accident lawyer may be necessary if you experience any of the following:
- Diagnosis of a mental or physical condition as a direct result of the accident.
- Medical expenses exceed your PIP coverage.
- Your claim is denied.
- Help with proving the other motorist’s fault in the accident and lack of yours.
- Your case is going to go to trial.
- If you need assistance locating additional resources to cover expenses not covered by a settlement.
- The at-fault driver is attempting to hide to avoid charges or liability.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In New York, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is three years from the accident date or two years from the date of death.
How Can Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Me With My Car Accident Case?
Recovery should be your only focus after an accident. A lawyer can work on your behalf to ensure your claim is handled correctly and your rights are protected. A lawyer can do the following:
- Investigate the accident.
- Review police reports and speak with officers.
- Hire outside experts.
- File necessary documents.
- Represent you in court if necessary.
For over 50 years, our Brooklyn car accident lawyers have gained an exceptional reputation and extensive track record of obtaining millions of dollars in compensation for our clients.
Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Advocate on Behalf of Clients Injured by Negligent Drivers
Suffering injuries in a car accident due to another’s negligence can leave you with costly medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. For legal help, contact our Brooklyn car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki. Call 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.