Navigating the busy streets of New York City can be a daunting experience, even for the most experienced drivers. While you may take every safety precaution when driving, other motorists often cut off other drivers, tailgate, or even resort to aggressive driving behaviors. This can quickly become a dangerous situation where a serious accident can occur.
In addition to being extremely stressful and overwhelming, car accidents can be costly, particularly if you suffer a severe injury. Having an experienced car accident on your side is critical. Insurance companies want to avoid paying a large settlement, so they will likely try to minimize the severity of your injuries to reduce the settlement award. A lawyer can anticipate these tactics and take proactive steps to protect your rights.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help With My Case?
The following are other ways your car accident lawyer with help with your case:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the details of the accident.
- Collect important evidence from the accident scene, including photos, video surveillance, and witness testimonies.
- Establish proof of damages.
- Help determine who is at fault and liable for the accident.
- Review medical records and evaluate the severity of your injuries.
- Work with medical experts to help your claim.
- Properly file all claims promptly.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and opposing counsel.
- Represent you in court if your case goes to trial.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Most car accident lawyers in New York work on a contingency basis, meaning you only pay if your lawyer wins the case. Once your car accident lawyer has reached a successful settlement, you will pay an agreed-upon percentage of your award. Even if your accident was minor, hiring a car accident lawyer is in your best interest if the other motorist denies responsibility or tries to blame you.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Brooklyn’s streets are crowded with other motorists, buses, cabs, and trucks who can be aggressive and impatient. Even if you are an experienced city driver, Brooklyn is one of the most challenging places to drive. A car accident can occur when you least expect it. The following are some of the most common causes of car accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Improper lane changes
- Failure to obey traffic signs and signals
- Failure to yield to the right-of-way
- Defective vehicles and equipment
- Improper or lack of signage
What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accidents in Brooklyn?
Many types of car accidents can occur in a busy city, ranging from minor fender-benders to catastrophic accidents involving severe injuries and fatalities. The following are types of serious accidents that can occur throughout the city:
- Rear-end collisions
- Sideswipe accidents
- DUI accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Accidents involving commercial trucks
- Rideshare accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Wrong-way driving accidents
What Are Common Car Accident Injuries?
No matter whether the injury you sustained in a car accident is minor or severe, any type of car accident injury can be life-altering.
The following are common car accident injuries:
- Broken bones or fractures
- Open or closed head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
The most important step after a car accident is to protect your safety and health. Seek immediate medical attention, regardless of whether or not you have obvious injuries. Many injuries are not immediately apparent after a car crash.
Other important steps to follow if you are involved in a Brooklyn car accident include:
- If your car is in the line of traffic or other dangerous position, try to move it over to a safe place.
- Call 911 so the police can provide an accident report and EMTs can be called to the scene.
- Do not admit guilt to any other parties or the police.
- Take pictures of the damage to your car, the positions of the vehicles, your physical injuries, and any skid marks and road signage.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with all other drivers and eyewitnesses.
- Keep all records of medical treatment received.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What Is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
It is important to remember that every car accident case is unique. Calculating the value of a car accident claim can be complicated and depends on the following factors:
- Nature and extent of injuries.
- Identity of at-fault and liable parties.
- Available insurance coverage.
- Expense and degree of medical treatment.
- Whether there is a partial or permanent disability.
- Need for ongoing medical care.
- Cost for medically necessary home changes.
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity.
- Out-of-pocket expenses.
- Degree of pain and suffering.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim?
In New York, you have three years from the date of accident and injury to file a car accident. A reliable car accident lawyer can ensure that all valid claims are filed in a timely manner.
What Are Possible Damages for a Car Accident in Brooklyn?
Depending on the nature and severity of the car accident you are involved in, you could suffer injuries ranging from minor to even life-threatening. Since New York is a no-fault insurance state, you must seek compensation from your insurance company first, regardless of who caused the accident. However, your insurance company may use various tactics to avoid paying you a sizable settlement check. A dedicated car accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company or take your case to court.
Possible compensation you may be entitled to following a car accident includes:
- All medical expenses associated with your injuries, including hospital bills, surgeries, and follow-up appointments.
- Out-of-pocket expenses for prescription medications.
- Physical therapy.
- Mental health treatment.
- Cost of medically necessary home alterations.
- Lost wages if your injuries prevent you from being able to return to work for an extended period.
- Diminished earning capacity.
- Property damage repair.
- Pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the accident.
- Loss of life’s enjoyment.
- Loss of companionship or consortium.
- Wrongful death.
Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Represent Clients Injured in City Crashes
If you were injured in a wreck, do not hesitate to contact our Brooklyn car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki. Call us at 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.