Brooklyn Slip and Fall Lawyers
Slip and fall accidents are a top reason for thousands of emergency room visits yearly. New York property owners have a required duty of care to maintain safe grounds for those who enter the premises. Owners can be held accountable for accidents and injuries when they fail to meet this duty. If a property owner’s negligence has injured you or a family member, our Brooklyn slip and fall accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in New York?
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere and for a variety of reasons, some of the more common being:
- Slippery floors: One of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents is slippery floors, often from liquid spills, overflowing sinks or toilets, excessive floor wax, rain, snow, or ice inside the doorway.
- Uncleared walkways: Failure to remove snow and ice from walkways and stairs can result in serious injuries.
- Uneven surfaces: Bunched and torn carpet and floor mats, loose and damaged flooring, cracked sidewalks and parking lots, and floor transitions can all create tripping hazards.
- Clutter: Boxes, equipment, electric cords, shopping carts, products, and other items left in aisles, walkways, aisles, and other areas pose a risk of accidents.
- Poor lighting: Missing, broken, or inadequate lighting in exterior walkways, stairwells, and parking garages makes it challenging to see and can lead to accidents.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Most Commonly Occur?
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere there is walking access. Some of the most common locations include:
- Construction sites
- Grocery stores
- Medical facilities
- Office buildings
- Parking lots and garages
- Shopping malls
- Subway stations
- Swimming pools
What Injuries Are Common in Slip and Fall Accidents?
Injuries from slip and fall accidents can range from mild to severe, depending on where and how the accident happened. Some of the most common slip and fall injuries include:
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Hand injuries
- Leg and ankle injuries
- Head injuries
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Sprains, strains, and tears
- Traumatic brain injuries
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Accident?
Liability in slip and fall accidents can be challenging to establish, as there may be more than one responsible party. Unfortunately, as the injured, the burden of proof is your responsibility, which is one reason hiring a personal injury lawyer is critical. If you can establish liability, the property owner may be responsible for compensating you for your injuries and other losses.
New York law requires property owners to ensure their grounds are safe for others. To prove the property owner was negligent in their duty of care, you must be able to show they:
- Knew or should have known the dangerous situation existed.
- Had a reasonable amount of time to correct the hazardous condition or warm visitors but failed to do so.
- Caused injuries and losses because they failed to fulfill their duty of care.
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in New York is three years from the accident date or two years from the date of death.
What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in Brooklyn?
Taking action after a slip and fall accident can benefit your personal injury claim if you are physically able. You should do the following after a slip and fall:
- Report the accident to the property owner or manager and alert them to what caused the accident.
- Photograph the scene, what caused the accident, and your injuries.
- Gather contact information and statements from any witnesses, if applicable.
- Seek medical evaluation immediately following the accident. A doctor’s report of your injuries is crucial to your injury claim.
- Maintain any correspondence, medical records, expenses, and other documents related to the accident and injuries.
- Hire a Brooklyn slip and fall lawyer to help you navigate the complex personal injury system, investigate the accident and evidence, and protect your rights.
How Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer Help Me?
Hiring a lawyer for a slip and fall accident is not required; however, those who do tend to receive much larger settlements. An experienced slip and fall lawyer can help by doing the following:
- Advising: A lawyer can advise you, provide legal guidance tailored to your case’s facts, and explain your best options.
- Liability: In personal injury cases, fault must be proven to obtain compensation; however, determining liability can be difficult. A skilled lawyer is adept at investigating and analyzing the accident and gathering the necessary evidence to help establish liability.
- Calculating damages: Lawyers have extensive knowledge and experience in assessing and calculating appropriate compensation to cover current and future expenses and protect you from losses.
- Negotiating a settlement: Experienced personal injury lawyers are seasoned negotiators who can anticipate tactics insurance companies employ to minimize their losses.
- Representing you in court: A lawyer can advocate on your behalf should your case proceed to trial and will fight to protect your rights and receive the compensation you deserve.
Brooklyn Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Clients Injured by Property Owner Negligence
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere and cause catastrophic injuries. If a property owner’s negligence has injured you, our Brooklyn slip and fall accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki can help. Call us today at 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.