Sunset Park Car Accident Lawyers
The Brooklyn neighborhood of Sunset Park is a thriving multicultural community. With popular attractions such as Chinatown, Sunset Park traffic congestion is common and leads to many car accidents yearly.
Sustaining injuries in a car accident can disrupt your life and result in expensive medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. At Rubenstein & Rynecki, our Sunset Park car accident lawyers work tirelessly to seek maximum compensation for clients injured by another’s recklessness.
What Are Common Car Accident Injuries?
Even minor car accidents can result in severe and life-altering injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Concussions and head injuries
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Cuts and lacerations
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Psychological trauma
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents in Sunset Park?
Car accidents occur for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Distracted driving: Driving while using a cell phone, fiddling with onboard technology, eating, and interacting with passengers, distracts drivers’ full attention. Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of accidents.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving continues to be one of the leading causes of accidents and fatalities. Driving under the influence reduces reaction times, blurs vision, inhibits brain function, reduces focus, and more.
- Drowsy driving: Sleep deprivation causes the same neurological impairments as drugs and alcohol.
- Reckless driving: Swerving in and out of lanes, ignoring traffic signs and laws, and cutting off other motorists is dangerous and increases the risk of accidents significantly.
- Speeding: Traveling over the speed limit frequently results in accidents, injuries, and fatalities. Driving over the speed limit reduces the ability to make sudden stops or avoid obstacles.
- Tailgating: Traveling too closely behind other vehicles can easily lead to rear-end accidents, especially in high-traffic areas.
- Weather: Rain, snow, and ice cause road surfaces to become slick, reducing traction between the tires and the road.
What Should I Do if I am in a Car Accident in Sunset Park?
If you are physically able following a car accident, the following actions will help you provide information and evidence for your personal injury claim:
- Call the police to report the accident and any injuries.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, but limit further conversation, do not argue or apologize, as these statements can be used against you.
- Take photos of the scene, including vehicle damage, injuries, road and weather conditions, signage, and other contributing factors.
- Ask witnesses for contact information and statements.
- Seek medical attention, even if you believe you are uninjured. Some internal injuries do not present symptoms until much later and can be life-threatening if left untreated. The medical report is also necessary for your claim.
- Keep all medical bills and records, invoices, estimates, and any communication related to the accident.
- Consult an experienced car accident lawyer.
What Types of Compensation Can I Seek for My Injuries?
There is no set value for compensation in personal injury claims. Instead, damages are awarded based on the individual circumstances of the accident and the severity of injuries, typically classified as economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include fixed expenses related to the accident, such as:
- In-home medical care
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Permanent or temporary disability
- Medical expenses
- Medical devices and equipment
- Ongoing medical care
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Repair costs
- Wrongful death and funeral expenses
Non-economic damages refer to pain and suffering due to the accident not associated with or included in economic damages, such as:
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive impairment
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
What Is New York’s Pure Comparative Negligence Rule?
New York follows the rule of pure comparative negligence in personal injury claims, which assigns each driver a percentage of fault in the accident, regardless of which was at fault. While the rule does not bar plaintiffs from collecting compensation if they contributed to the accident, the assigned percentage of fault will reduce the available amount.
Is There a Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
In New York, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim is three years from the accident date or two years from the date of death.
How Can Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Me?
Following an accident with injuries, you should be focused on your recovery, not fighting with insurance companies for compensation. Working with our Sunset Park car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki lets you focus on healing. When you hire us, we can:
- Review evidence of the accident scene.
- Review police reports.
- File all documents.
- Interview witnesses and obtain statements.
- Work with your medical team regarding your necessary current and future medical care.
- Hire industry experts, if necessary.
- Negotiate with insurance companies for an appropriate settlement.
- Represent you in court if the case goes to trial.
Sunset Park Car Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Injured Clients
If you have suffered injuries in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact our Sunset Park car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki. Call 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.