New York Birth Injury Attorneys
Our Brooklyn Firm Helps Birth Injury Victims Seek Justice
Each lawyer at the Brooklyn-based law firm of Rubenstein & Rynecki provides skilled legal assistance to help families in NYC, Manhattan, and throughout the state seek compensation when mothers or their newborns suffer injuries during childbirth.
Dial (718) 522-1020 or complete an online form today to learn how our New York City birth injury attorneys can help you seek justice and compensation.
What Constitutes Birth Injuries?
Even the best medical care cannot guarantee that every birth proceeds without issues. But when the failure of a doctor to provide a reasonable standard of care causes injury to the mother or newborn, victims may have the right to pursue a medical malpractice claim. The following examples illustrate the range of potential injuries:
- Clavicle fractures represent the most common type of birth injury, even with a reasonable standard of care. Most newborns fully recover from this type of injury within a relatively short period.
- Erbs palsy, also known as brachial plexus injuries, involves injury to nerves traveling from the neck and down the arm, typically caused by pulling the head and arm in opposite directions. These injuries can heal over time, possibly requiring surgery, but the child can suffer permanent disabilities ranging from minor to severe.
- Klumpke palsy is the result of damage to a baby's brachial plexus during a difficult delivery. It is a type of paralysis and can also trigger Horner's syndrome.
- Cerebral palsy is essentially the loss or impairment of body movement and muscle control caused by brain damage. This severe condition can develop prior to birth, but damage can also occur due to negligence during the childbirth process.
- Maternal childbirth injuries can include some virtually unavoidable circumstances due to the nature of the childbirth process. But extreme conditions, such as might be caused by large infants, can represent negligence when the doctors do not recommend a C-section. And if a doctor fails to properly treat even a normal degree of vaginal tearing, the mother can experience years of severe pain and other issues.
If you or your newborn shows any signs of distress, an attorney from Rubenstein & Rynecki can work with you to determine if a higher standard of medical care might have prevented your situation. We advocate tirelessly on behalf of our clients to help ensure they obtain the compensation they need to achieve the best future possible for the entire family.
How Can an Injury Lawyer in Brooklyn Help After a Birth Injury?
A birth injury attorney will be able to:
- Start investigating the injury and gather evidence such as medical records and other documents.
- Consult with medical experts to help build a strong case.
- Represent you in negotiations with insurance companies or in court.
Our injury Brooklyn personal injury attorneys understand the challenges faced by birth injury victims. We are well-versed in medical malpractice law and can help you seek compensation when possible. Our services will help lighten your load, which may help you manage day-to-day life with a newborn who may have special needs.
Who Is Commonly Responsible for Birth Injuries?
In a medical malpractice injury, the defendant is usually a doctor or health care provider. In some cases, however, it may be another person or entity such as:
- A hospital staff member or facility
- An obstetrician-gynecologist (OB/GYN)
- The manufacturer of a faulty birth injury product
It is important to remember that even if negligence did not cause the injury directly, doctors and hospitals still have an obligation to provide appropriate care to those injured during childbirth. Our attorneys can help you determine who may bear responsibility for your child's injury and hold them accountable.
Get Help From an Experienced NYC Birth Injury Lawyer
If you or your newborn suffers injury due to negligence before, during, or after childbirth, it costs nothing to schedule a free consultation with an attorney at Rubenstein & Rynecki to discuss your case and learn how we can help. Representing victims in NYC, Manhattan, and elsewhere in New York since 1972, our firm has the experience, skills, and resources needed to help you pursue the monetary damages you deserve.
No recovery, no fee. Contact us today for a free consultation.