Bedford-Stuyvesant Car Accident Lawyers
Beford-Stuyvesant is a neighborhood in the Brooklyn Borough of New York City and one of the most diverse communities in the area. Colloquially known as “Bed-Stuy,” the neighborhood boasts the largest collection of unaltered historic Victorian brownstones in the United States, drawing thousands of sightseers each year. The combination of a large population, workforce, and tourists creates crowded streets and traffic congestion, leading to many car accidents in Bed-Stuy each year.
Car accident injuries can cause financial hardship, lost income, or permanent disabilities. Our Bed-Stuy car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki understand the difficulties injured clients endure.
What Are the Common Causes of Car Accidents in Bedford-Stuyvesant?
Car accidents happen for many reasons. Most accidents are caused by careless and reckless driving behaviors, including the following:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of accidents in the United States due to cell phone use, interacting with onboard technology, eating, and other activities diverting attention from driving.
- Drunk driving: A leading cause of accidents and fatalities, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs reduces reaction times, inhibits brain function, blurs vision, reduces focus, and more.
- Drowsy driving: Studies have shown that sleep deprivation is just as dangerous as intoxication. Significant fatigue causes the same neurological impairments as drugs and alcohol.
- Speeding: Traveling over the speed limit is also one of the most common causes of accidents. Speeding affects a driver’s ability to stop suddenly or avoid obstacles.
- Aggressive driving: Reckless behaviors such as darting in and out of lanes, cutting off others, and ignoring traffic signs dramatically increases the risk of an accident.
- Weather: Rain, snow, and ice make roads slick, reducing the tires’ ability to maintain traction, and actions such as speeding can cause the tires to slide across the surface and into other vehicles.
- Tailgating: Traveling too close to another vehicle can lead to an accident.
What Are Common Car Accident Injuries?
Car accidents of any type can result in injuries ranging from mild to severe, the most common being:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Concussion and head injuries
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Cuts and lacerations
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
- Psychological trauma
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
How Much Is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
Personal injury claims have no set value. They are based on the accident’s circumstances. Economic and non-economic damages are possible.
Economic damages refer to fixed expenses incurred due to the accident, such as:
- In-home medical care
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Permanent or temporary disability
- Medical expenses
- Medical devices and equipment
- Ongoing medical care
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Repair costs
- Funeral expenses
Non-economic damages refer to incurred losses with no set financial value, such as:
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive impairment
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
New York’s Pure Comparative Negligence Rule
New York is one of about 13 states that follows pure comparative negligence, which means a plaintiff can be eligible to collect compensation regardless of the amount of fault. The law involves determining the amount of negligence of each party.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Bed-Stuy?
If you are physically able, there are several steps you can take to help your future accident claim, such as:
- Reporting the accident and any injuries to the police.
- Photographing the scene, injuries, vehicle damage, license plate numbers, weather and road conditions, signage, and other contributing factors.
- Exchanging contact information with witnesses and obtaining statements.
- Seeking medical attention. Some life-threatening internal injuries do not present symptoms until much later, and the medical report documenting your injuries is also vital to your future claim.
- Maintaining all medical records, invoices, estimates, and communication-related to the accident and your injuries.
- Hiring a personal injury lawyer with extensive knowledge of state laws and experience.
Additionally, do not argue with the other driver or make statements of apology that can be used against you later. Exchange contact and insurance information, and do not engage in any further conversation.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim?
In New York, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is three years from the accident date or two years from the date of death.
How Can Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Me With My Car Accident Case?
Following an accident, you should be focused on your recovery. Hiring a Bed-Stuy car accident lawyer lets you concentrate on healing and restoring your life. Our Rubenstein & Rynecki can help you in the following ways:
- Investigate the scene of the accident.
- File required documents.
- Interview witnesses.
- Hire outside experts.
- Negotiate an appropriate settlement.
- Represent you in court if necessary.
We have served Bed-Stuy residents for over 50 years and have earned a stellar reputation.
Bedford-Stuyvesant Car Accident Lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki Help Clients Seek Compensation From Negligent Drivers
A car accident injury can result in expensive medical bills and lost income. If someone else’s negligence caused your injury, contact our Bedford-Stuyvesant car accident lawyers at Rubenstein & Rynecki. Call us at 718-522-1020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Brooklyn, New York, we serve clients throughout New York City, including The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.