New York Truck Accident Attorney
The lawyers at the Brooklyn-based law firm of Rubenstein & Rynecki have the specialized understanding of the unique issues pertaining to truck accidents, state and federal trucking laws, and how the trucking industry operates. Our firm has over three decades of experience fighting for maximum awards for truck accident victims.
Common causes of truck accidents
Out of 11,672 New York large truck accidents in 2010, more than 4,000 resulted in personal injuries, and 102 involved fatalities. With the majority of accidents occurring on weekdays during the hours when individuals commute to and from work and during normal business hours, traffic congestion clearly plays a role in the causes of truck accidents.
The most common contributing factors to these accidents and injuries involved human error, including the following:
- Driver inattention/distraction (2,005)
- Following too closely (1,369)
- Failure to yield right of way (1,161)
- Improper passing or lane usage (1,035)
Other factors can also cause truck accidents, such as the following:
- Driver exhaustion. Particularly during long hauls, the hypnotic effects of the road can cause drivers to lose focus, in spite of mandated rest periods.
- Insufficient care when loading cargo. Those responsible for loading cargo must take special measures to ensure the cargo is well-secured—otherwise loads may shift during transit, causing loss of control of the truck.
- Inadequate safety inspections. Specific laws require trucks to undergo frequent inspections. When inspectors fail to notice faulty brakes, tires, or other dangerous conditions, the risk of collision increases.
- Scheduling and other company issues. In an effort to meet customer expectations, trucking management may set aggressive scheduling requirements, which drivers might address by taking procedural shortcuts to shave time from their runs.
Whether an accident occurs in NYC, Manhattan, or on the open road in New York, each truck accident attorney at Rubenstein & Rynecki understands the full range of issues that can cause trucking accidents. We use our understanding of the industry — and how a trucking company lawyer defends his or her powerful client — to develop the compelling evidence needed to help our clients pursue the winning verdicts and settlements they deserve.
More NY Truck Accident Headlines
Seek support from an experienced truck accident lawyer
Whether driving on congested Manhattan streets, or traveling NY highways, every driver should learn the defensive driving techniques needed to safely share the roads with trucks weighing 10,000 pounds or more. But if you or a loved one sustains injuries in a truck accident, our experienced lawyers can make a difference to your case. It costs nothing to schedule a free consultation at Rubenstein & Rynecki to discuss your case and learn how we can help. Representing victims since 1972, our firm has the experience, skills, and resources needed to help you pursue the monetary damages you deserve. No recovery, no fee. Contact us today for a free consultation.