16 Court Street  |  Brooklyn, New York 11241
What to do after being involved in a car accident?

What to do after being involved in a car accident?

What to Do after Being Involved in a New York Car Accident?

$1.25 Millionfor victims of negligent driving by a police officer

Accidents, by definition, are unexpected and unwanted. They can rattle your nerves. Knowing in advance what to do after a New York City car accident can help you stay clearheaded and protect your legal rights.

At Rubenstein & Rynecki, we have helped accident victims recover compensation in personal injury cases for more than three decades. After taking the following actions, you also should contact us if you suffered injury.

Actions to take after an accident

  • Call the police. Make sure you call 911 so the police can respond to the accident scene and investigate. Provide them with an accurate account of how the accident occurred. The police officer files a report which documents the accident and can later serve as evidence in your case.
  • Remain at the accident scene. When involved in an accident that causes property damage or injury, New York law requires you to provide information. You must give your name and address and show your driver's license and insurance identification card to the person who suffered injury or property damage or to the police officer. If you don't have this information with you, you must provide it to the nearest police station as soon as possible.
  • Get medical treatment. If you are injured or in pain, get medical treatment right away. Delays can affect your claim for compensation.
  • Be safe. If your vehicle is in danger or a danger to other approaching vehicles, move it immediately. Quickly take photos of the accident scene and other damaged vehicles to preserve evidence. Put on hazard lights and set out flares if you have them.
  • Exchange information. Get the contact, driver's license, tag license number and insurance information of other drivers involved. Also get contact information for any witnesses present.
  • Note the details. As soon as possible, write down all the details about the accident that you can remember, such as traffic conditions, weather, date, time, speeds of other cars involved and a diagram of how the accident occurred. This information can be valuable for your lawyer when investigating the accident.
  • Make the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles report. You have 10 days to file a written accident report with the New York Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Your lawyer can help you with filling in the details.
  • Call your insurance company. Report the accident to your insurance company and also send a written notice as soon as possible. Insurance companies may refuse to protect your interests in a no-fault claim if you do not give them prompt notification.

Representing victims since 1972

Rubenstein & Rynecki and its predecessor firms have been representing car accident victims in New York City since 1972. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, major or minor, you may be entitled to money damages. Rubenstein & Rynecki may be able to help you. No recovery, no fee. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Case Results

  • $62 million verdict

    $62 million verdict for medical malpractice causing double amputation

  • $22.9 million verdict

    $22.9 million verdict (reduced on appeal) for a motorcyclist struck by a milk truck in Queens

  • $17.9 million

    $17.9 million for medical malpractice causing amputation of hands and feet