Police Taser® Abuse in NY
New York law firm handles police Taser abuse cases
The attorneys at the Brooklyn-based law firm of Rubenstein & Rynecki have more than 30 years of experience fighting for maximum awards for victims of excessive use of force by police in New York. In more recent years, the Taser gun has been added to the police force arsenal of non-lethal weapons. Although the devices are categorized as non-lethal, they deliver a powerful 50,000 volt shock and their use is linked to the following:
If you or a family member suffer injury as a result of police Taser abuse, contact the New York law firm of Rubenstein & Rynecki today for a free consultation. No recovery, no fee.
What is Taser abuse?
If a police officer is accused of overstepping the bounds of his or her authority when using a Taser gun, the court considers several factors to determine whether excessive force was used. Some of these factors include:
- The type of crime involved. If the crime was a violent one, then the use of a Taser gun is usually more justified. Conversely, if the crime was non-violent, it usually does not require the use of a police weapon like a Taser
- How the Taser gun was applied. Any of the following scenarios could constitute a questionable use of force:
- Taser gun used after the suspect complies with police officer requests
- Taser gun purposely applied to sensitive areas, such as the groin
- Taser gun used in a prolonged application or repeated stuns
- Whether the level of force was warranted. Did the suspect demonstrate a threat of physical harm or flight from custody? If not, use of a Taser gun would be questionable.
Protecting civil rights, proving fault, and seeking maximum compensation
Police officers should use reasonable force when making an arrest. There are guidelines and procedures in place to govern the use of Taser guns by the police in New York. If you suffered injuries as a result of Taser abuse on the part of New York police, your civil rights may have been violated. We stand ready to examine your case, and if circumstances and evidence indicate excessive use of force by the police, we will work to prove fault and obtain the maximum compensation available to you.
Representing victims since 1972
Rubenstein & Rynecki and its predecessor firms have been representing victims since 1972. If you or a family member were hurt in an accident, or were a victim of medical malpractice or police misconduct, you may be entitled to money damages. The skilled New York personal injury lawyers of Rubenstein & Rynecki may be able to help you. No recovery, no fee. Contact us today for a free consultation.